Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

What I'm reading

Being home seems to have made me apathetic and grumpy. After the freedom of University, having all these parents and other family members about is tres irritating. I've got 4 months or so until I go back, and as the house is up a big hill, away from everybody, I'm not expecting many visitors. However, the advantage to all this bored solitude is that I can concentrate on the pile of reading that I want to do. I've just started on Miroslav Volf's "After Our Likeness: Church as the Image of the Trinity"
which I think was his Ph.D, and compares (the then) Cardinal Ratzinger's theology and ecclesiology with the Orthodox metropolitan John Zizoulas', with added insight from the so called 'Free Church' movement. Needless to say, it's quite hard going, but I'm just going over 20 or so pages a day, to try to understand what he means.

I've almost finished Tolstoy's "The Kingdom of God is within you"
, and will sometime write up how I feel about his 'Christian Anarchism'. It's clear that he has numerous good points, but after the justifiable wars of the past century (WW2 in particular), and social change, some of it is just clearly not relevent. However, it's a fertile book for good quotes to use in essays and such.

My siblings wish to use the computer now, so I'm afraid I'll have to call it a night. Adieu my friends!
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?